Grayson is doing well and cruising right along. She gained 3oz last night and is up to 3lb 12.6oz! She has been able to maintain her body temp well enough that the top of her isolette has been lifted up and she is hanging out with room air. She also gets to start using a bottle today or tomorrow!
The doctors were hesitant to start her on a bottle because she hasn't really established a breastfeeding routine yet. The "lactivists" at the hospital are pretty hardcore. It is very pro-breastfeeding which is great, but sometimes it's a little over the top. For instance, I had only pumped once in the 24 hours after Grayson's birth because the magnesium sulfate drip knocked me out. The lactation consultant flipped out on me and basically said I wouldn't produce any milk because I had waited so long... I couldn't sit up or open my eyes, I definitely couldn't pump!
I am encouraged to come and nurse her as much as I can. Technically, I'm not supposed to drive until Monday, and Micah not being allowed in makes it even more difficult, coupled with the fact that I am exhausted, is making it a little more difficult to go and visit more than once a day.
If giving her a bottle makes it more difficult for her to nurse, then so be it. I just want my baby home. There is nothing fun about being a NICU mom.
Thursday, September 29, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Praying for you and the little one!
Post a Comment